Re: [Phys-L] raising the game

1) Once upon a time, Joe Schmoe bought 10 kilograms of butter.
It was very high-quality, high-purity butter. For the next
week, he ate nothing but butter. He ate butter for breakfast,
lunch, and dinner.

This illustrates several points:
a) The buying was /intentional/. The eating was /intentional/.
However, that does not make it wise.
b) There is a question of balance. Many things that are OK
in moderation become quite harmful when taken to extremes.
c) Sometimes you have to pay attention to what's missing,
rather than simply checking the quality of what's present.

2) Also: I'm a big fan of the building-block approach. That
is, when trying to learn a complex task, you take it apart into
simpler blocks, learn the blocks, and then assemble the blocks
to construct the desired edifice. A big part of the teacher's
job is figuring out how to take tasks apart and put them back
together again.

The final step -- putting things together -- must not be omitted.
Dealing with the blocks one by one is a fine place to begin, but
it is not an acceptable place to end!

3) The previous two ideas overlap in a way that is relevant to
our recent discussions: FCI effectively stands for Force Concepts
in Isolation ... and isolation is like butter. Sometimes butter
makes sense as the first ingredient to go into the pan, but there
are limits. Dealing with physics concepts in isolation is a fine
place to begin, but must not be the only ingredient in the meal.