Re: [Phys-L] popcorn physics

On 06/18/2013 07:09 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I can
never get all the kernels to pop. Microwave the bag longer, and the
popcorn starts to burn. This has been a problem I've notices for decades.

The conventional wisdom is to /soak/ the kernels in water
for 10 minutes before popping. Result: fluffier popcorn,
fewer old maids.

I have zero personal experience with any of this. I'm just
the messenger. Consider it a hypothesis you can test.

As a related matter, there are a gazillion "science fair"
experiments you can do: no preparation, soaking, drying,
drying then soaking, et cetera.

==

One thing I haven't seen tried is this: with no preparation,
cook the stuff for the /minimum/ amount of time. Then
soak any that have not yet popped, on the theory that these
are the ones that most need soaking.

=========

As for the duds that have /partially/ popped: They cannot
be revived. Feed 'em to the birds ... or cook them in
boiling water and then eat them with a spoon.