Re: [Phys-L] John Lienhard on Absolutism, Evolution and Education, Engines of our Ingenuity No.2132

On 2013, Jun 11, , at 10:12, marx@phy.ilstu.edu wrote:

I think that, in general, we trust that most scientists are honest in their reporting and that the
peer review process works. However, there are some topics that scientists and teachers of
science should take the time to fully understand the evidence and theoretical underpinnings
for, such as climate change, the modern theory of evolution, the Big Bang, standard model,
etc.

Repeating: Reminds me of Blondlot and N-rays. Note that he was awarded a prize for the totality of his work, including (v. important and interesting) the speed of electrical energy in a conductor and the speed of radio waves, inter alia.

One reporter did say the "belief" in N-rays was inverse to the distance from Nancy. Wood was ~ 4k miles away in the U.S., so very doubtful.

Prosper-René Blondlot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosper-René_Blondlot

Too many physicists blindly accept the ideas of climate change without ever looking at the
details of the climate models, the historical temperature data, measurement techniques, etc.

I suspect your too many and mine differ. Even I have read an AJP article and followed thru a, admittedly simple, model in "Topics in Mathematical Modeling" [the text includes the Wm. Thompson determination of the earth's age thru cooling and an El Niño model.] plus, of course, all the temperature, CO2, etc. references given on phys-l.

This topic is too important to not find out the details because it is a highly politicized field and
people are trying to advance their political agendas.

I suppose "saving the earth" as we know it is political.

Scientists should be skeptics and work
through the evidence before being convinced one way or the other. This is essential to
improve the quality of the science and to improve our ability to communicate the findings to
the general public.

Don't the vast majority do this?

bc