Re: [Phys-L] zero point motion and E-M emission

*** Background idea #1:

Suppose we have an ordinary classical coin. The probability of
the H state is equal to the probability of the T state. The
probability distribution is symmetrical. However, if we talk
about any particular coin (rather than the distribution), that
coin is in only one state. There is nothing symmetrical about
the state of that particular coin.

There is a verrrry deep principle here, which we can summarize
by saying:
There is no such thing as a random number.
If it's random, it's not a number.
If it's a number, it's not random

Also:
There is no such thing as a random number.
If you have a random distribution of numbers,
the randomness is in the distribution, not in
any particular number drawn from the distribution.

The same applies to distributions over non-numbers, including
distributions over coins, and distributions over quantum states.

For an introduction to the principles of probability from a
modern (post 1933) viewpoint, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/probability-intro.htm

*** Background idea #2:

There is more than one vector basis. A vector that equal to one
of the basis vectors in basis "A" will be a linear combination
of multiple basis vectors in basis "B".

This applies directly to quantum mechanics. A photon that is
polarized in the X state in the XY basis will be in a linear
combination of states in the circular polarization basis.