Re: [Phys-L] John Lienhard on Absolutism, Evolution and Education, Engines of our Ingenuity No.2132

A possible solution to the problem of "empire dissolution" is to have a well
educated populace with even better educated intelligent leaders. The
platitude "The meek will inherit the earth" can mean that we have to
understand the problems and respond to them without letting our inflated
egos get in the way. The conservative point of view that we have done
alright means we will continue to do so is very antiscientific. Past
history is only a guide to what might happen in the future. (Remember that
conservative can mean just adhering to traditional norms, and thinking that
the past will continue forever. One can be a liberal traditionalist, or a
conservative radical.)

The idea that we are the most powerful nation ergo we will continue to do so
is a very absolutist idea, and historically has not held up. If the current
anti-science trend on one side of the aisle continues, science and invention
in our country is likely to stagnate. Notice that this idea that education
has worked well in the past, so it is OK is also an absolutist idea. But
the opposite side of the coin, saying that education is not longer working
well is also not accurate. In reality education may be working as well as
it did in the past, but that is not adequate. It needs to be modified ala
PER and other research based innovations.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Our wealth is because we were able to exploit vigin land. But now
others are catching up. Remember the Romans probably felt the same
way, and where are they now???

You mean as an empire? The Athenians did the same ... had
to wall their city and the road to the harbor where their
ships left to plunder the planet as they knew it.

More recently the Brits. and then us. (and the NAZIs)

bc thinks history doesn't bode well for us.