Re: [Phys-L] Falling parallelograms (was: wondering about stuff)

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 05:20:55PM -0700, John Denker wrote:
Recently there was some discussion of dropping metal squares and
comparing them to cardboard squares. That motivated me to do some
informal experiments:
-- I dropped a square in the broadside "pancake" orientation
-- I dropped a square in some other orientations.

Folks interested in falling shapes might be interested in this recent
paper:

Subject: Unsteady aerodynamic forces and torques on falling
parallelograms in coupled tumbling-helical motions
Author(s): Kapil Varshney, Song Chang, and Z. Jane Wang

Falling parallelograms exhibit coupled motion of autogyration and
tumbling, similar to the motion of falling tulip seeds, unlike maple
seeds which autogyrate but do not tumble, or rectangular cards which
tumble but do not gyrate. This coupled tumbling and autogyrating
motion are robust, …

[Phys. Rev. E 87, 053021] Published Wed May 29, 2013

Cheers,
Trevor