Re: [Phys-L] lens magnification

I've always wondered about this "simple" idea, and a student just asked
me. Magnifying glasses (biconvex lenses) are sold with a power rating (3x,
4x, etc.). How is this determined?

As usual, it would help a physicist tremendously if everyone would simply attach the units when appropriate.

I believe the units in this case are inverse centimeters.

These numbers are called the diopter and are the inverse of the focal length, in centimeters. Opticians use the same system when prescribing corrective lenses.

Herman Trivilino
College of the Mainland
Texas City, Texas