[Phys-L] cars, gas, and mileage

A few science teachers at my school bought new cars recently. We were
discussing gas mileage, and they mentioned that it is better in the summer
than the winter. They said the reason is that additives are put in the
winter gas to prevent freezing in gas tanks. Is this true? What is added?
Do all gas stations do this, or just those in cold climates?