Re: [Phys-L] kinematics objectives

Thank you JD and HT for the suggestions.

HT: I am going to restructure the curved motion section to make clear the distinction: parabolic motion when the force direction is constant and there is a velocity component perpendicular to the force, circular motion when the force changes direction so that it is continuously perpendicular to the velocity.

JD: I am going to reword the section to remove the term "weight" and replace it with "the earth pulling on the object". But I am going to continue to expect that my students know what the word "perpendicular" means. Also, rather than present the entire list, I may roll it out section by section. That way, as HT suggests, I can include references, screen shots of the simulations, diagrams of experimental setups, graphs from experiments --hoping that each one-page document will remind them of the experiences they had while we were learning the concepts.

When I was a kid taking music lessons, I was never a particularly good at sight-reading music. But I was much better if it was a song I already knew. Many of my students are frankly not that good at reading. I am trying to write clear prose but I know that they will have a hard time with it at first. I am hopeful that after we have done our work, they will be able to read and understand because they already know the song. I've seen it many, many times in class: I'll present an introductory paragraph that many will find baffling. But by the end of the period, they can tell me it means exactly what it says. The words didn't change, but now they know the song.

As for whether I use the FCI for any other purpose, well I don't have to decide that until November.