Re: [Phys-L] phys-l instructions and archives

On 05/04/2013 09:15 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:

I can access http://www.phys-l.org/ fine from home (with VPN
turned off). But at work (or if I VPN into the Naval Academy), I can no
longer access that page. It's not being blocked by USNA's filters; it
simply cannot be found.

Three things that apply to everybody:

1a) Mail should be sent directly to phys-l@phys-l.org
Sending mail to phys-l@www.phys-l.org (with a "www") is inelegant
and not recommended ... but it should work.

1b) Conversely, for web traffic, using the bare domain name phys-l.org is
expected to be /less/ reliable than going directly to www.phys-l.org.
It requires a slightly hackish redirection of the HTTP traffic.

Mnemonic: To reconcile (1a) with (1b), remember: "www" means world
wide web. It is for web traffic (i.e. HTTP). Mail is something else.
Mail is not HTTP. Mail is not www. Internet mail is older than HTTP
by about 20 years.

2) The machine that hosts phys-l does not answer pings. So if you're
using ping or mtr to see whether the host is reachable, you will get
false negative results.

This may be fixable; stand by for updates.

3) The machine that hosts the phys-l services does not have a fixed IP
address. At present, we get around this using one level of indirection,
as follows:

:; dig www.phys-l.org

www.phys-l.org. 81 IN CNAME phydocmarko.dyndns.org.
phydocmarko.dyndns.org. 60 IN A 24.145.119.127

So one hypothesis is that somebody at USNA doesn't like dyndns.org (or
vice versa).

To figure out what's going on in a situation like this:

a) Please use the command-line interface to check what happens when you
try to resolve the www.phys-l.org address. On mac or linux use "dig"
or "host". On windows I am told the corresponding command is "nslookup".

b) Please do the same for test.phys-l.org ... this should resolve to an
IP address in one step, without indirection. It is an A record not a
CNAME record.

c) Please check what happens when you telnet directly to 24.145.119.127
port 22, port 80, or port 443.