Re: [Phys-L] the Bohr atom, or not

On 26/04/2013, at 9:40 AM, John Denker wrote:

Hi Folks --

Let me start a discussion by giving one side of the argument:

Suggestion #1: If you feel the urge to tell your introductory physics
class about the Bohr model, lie down until the feeling goes away.

I agree

Would anybody care to make the counterargument? I don't recall ever
hearing an argument in favor of the Bohr model ... and it is easy to
find textbooks that don't mention it all (including at least one set
of large, red, 50-year-old textbooks) ... yet other books continue to
mention it, even in the most recent editions. What am I missing?

Although I agree with John Denker here is a reference for a counter-argument.

McKagan, S. B.; Perkins, K. K.; Wieman, C. E. (2008)
Why we should teach the Bohr model and how to teach it effectively
Physical Review Special Topics – Physics Education Research
Volume: 4, Number: 1, Pages: 010103

Cheers
Ian