Re: [Phys-L] the Bohr atom, or not

First of all let me say that jsd has very valid reasons never to consider
the Bohr atom. I would like to emphasize the point that you should never
have to unlearn any physics, particularly if you think that there is already
too much physics to learn in the introductory class. Now if you
" don't recall ever hearing an argument in favor of the Bohr model"
you have either let your commendable desire to rationalize the teaching of
physics shorten your recall time or you have tuned out a wide segment of
physics teachers.
-
"What am I missing?"
You are missing a familiar (solar system) simple visual model which
illustrates (notice I did not say explain) many features of an atomic model.
-
Solution:
The only true solution to the problem is to have all teachers who use the
Bohr model die off (that is what finally killed the caloric and phlogiston
theories)
However a quicker solution might be to, at every level, decide what
features of the atomic model should be taught. Then make a large effort to create
a good, widely applicable, visual image illustrating those features (at
every level), Publicize your results.
Another difficulty is that introductory students are more familiar with
particles than they are with waves.

Alex. F. Burr

In a message dated 4/25/2013 5:43:22 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,