[Phys-L] sound

Does anyone know how a bugle produces different notes (as it has no keys,
valves, slides, etc.)? I know the instrument when played is physically
closed, but it behaves like an open pipe due to the bell's conical shape.
So the harmonic series is fn = nv/2L The length of the instrument is
constant, so does the player just blow/buzz his/her lips faster? or with a
higher frequency? That changes the harmonics/frequencies, but does that
change v in the equation? I thought v was the speed of sound in air (343
m/s) for brass instruments. I'm a bit confused with some of the finer
details of this "simple" instrument.