From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Paul Lulai
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:21 AM
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Edu Videos

The group from U Washington did some research (i believe, bit don't recall specifics so...) in this area prior to their Physics by Inquiry (PbI) approach.
PbI has students run through a series of experimentation (mostly conceptual). At specific, targeted points, the students read statements from 2 fictional students and decide if one, both, or neither is correct. In PbI, these are called checkpoints, because the teacher is to check with each group of students to see that the students arrive at a correct answer for the correct reason. If the students do, then they move on. If they don't, then the students are directed back to their data and prior observations through a socratic dialogue with the instructor.
It is very effective. The overall PbI approach does have data.
When I see the veritassium videos, I see him making video versions of these checkpoints. PbI may be an intentional or unintentional source of inspiration for the format of the videos. Regardless, I find value in them.
In addition to PbI, the U Washington group also created Tutorials in Physics. Both PbI and the Tutorials are worth reviewing. PbI would require a significant change in class structure. Tutorials would require a change in homework procedures.

...::. Sent from a touchscreen.::...
Paul Lulai