Re: [Phys-L] Edu Videos

I think we all have our pet topics. Topics that we will check right off the bat to see if a particular text or source approaches them in a way we like. If they don't it is easy to discard the source. With the utmost respect, John, I don't think a large percentage of people would approach relativity or entropy in a way that would fully satisfy you. Not because you are wrong. And it doesn't mean you your objections aren't valued. However, I don't think one's objections to a single video mean the series isn't valuable. I know you didn't state many comment on the series, but a strong opposition to one video can seem like an oppostion to the series.
The creator of the video has done some research on how effective videos are in getting people to learn content. He found explicit statements had very little effect. He found that when he asked people content, elicited responses, and then addressed them, there were positive changes in student understanding. I find this to be a video version of the Physics By Inquiry approach that also has some research and data behind it.
The creator of the videos is becoming more aware that it looks like he is picking on people and that some see it as trying to make people look stupid. It seems to me that he is choosing a few more children for predictions (I could be wrong, I haven't tallied them) and that he occasionally discusses how a topic took him a while to understand in enough depth to create a solution video, or that he chose a topic because he remembered being tricked or caught by the topic multiple times in the past.
Students do tend to like videos like these. They are like candy. Or maybe like a loss-leader in the sales industry. Kids like to watch them, then we can have some really nice discussions on the topic. If one uses only these videos, trouble probably follows. However, the fact that kids will watch these and then search out more and come to class with questions and want to talk about physics is a win in my book.
Some videos that I have had, or plan to have my students watch:

Minute Physics:
How Big is the Universe: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5NU2t5zlxQQ

Veritasium:
World's Roundest Object (a video on the evolution of the deifinition of a kilogram)
Kahn Academy & Effectiveness of Sci Videos http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=eVtCO84MDj8
Mass &Weight: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_Z0X0yE8Ioc
Young's Double Slit / What is light: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Iuv6hY6zsd0

Bob & Alice in Wonderland:
Why doesn't the moon fall to the earth
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BXnhEDMUJt8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBXnhEDMUJt8
Where does my energy come from:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ev_A1Kv1l4s&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dev_A1Kv1l4s

While one may find issues in these videos, the videos are (at the very least) a good spark for a discussion.

* I am on my tablet, so the links might be odd for non-tablet users.

Have a good one.
Paul Lulai
plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us

...::. Sent from a touch screen. .::...