[Phys-L] The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational Achievement - Redux

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational Achievement - Redux"[Hake (2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Among the 263 Comments (as of 4 March 2013 15:27-0800) on Diane Ravitch's (2013) blog entry "Why I Cannot Support the Common Core Standards" at <http://bit.ly/XGpEpK> was one by "Penny" who wrote on 3 March 2013: ''We know that poorer (lower socioeconomic) students tend to do poorer in school. How about looking at the true root cause."

To look at the "true root cause" see, e.g., the poverty-related references from my *complete* post "The Contentious Common Core Controversy" [Hake 2013)] at <http://bit.ly/Y7ocMv>:

1. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School Success"[Berliner (2009)] at <http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>;

2. "Eight problems with Common Core Standards" [Brady (2012)] at <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>;

3. "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational Achievement" [Hake (2011)] at <http://bit.ly/tUU65W>;

4. "For Obama's New Term, Start Here" [Kristof (2013) at <http://nyti.ms/WnEhU2>;

5. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics" [Marder (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/KPitWM> (scroll down);

6. "Giving Our Children a Fighting Chance; Poverty, Literacy, and the Development of Information Capital" [Neuman & Celano (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/ZVCsil>.

To access the complete 11 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/XHnEzS>.
Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

"So much orchestrated attention is being showered on the Common Core Standards, the main reason for poor student performance is being ignored - a level of childhood poverty the consequences of which no amount of schooling can effectively counter."
- Marion Brady (2012) at <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 04 March 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational Achievement - Redux," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/XHnEzS>. Post of 4 Mar 2013 15:38:45-0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/ZjbgoZ> with a provision for comments.