Re: [Phys-L] Physics prof strips down to underwear to teach QM

Unfortunately stunts are remembered long after the topic is forgotten. All
the research shows this. Students will remember the strip tease, and not
even that it was in a QM lecture. Stunts provide their own rewards. And IE
provides lasting understanding.

I will agree that in context the "controversy" is silly. I suppose a stunt
might be helpful if it gets students to attend. But at that point IE is
what is needed to grab their minds.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

The "controversy" over this is idiotic. But I'd be willing to
bet the kids who were sitting in that lecture will remember
the basic features of quantum mechanics better than anything
else they've learned in the course. In which case, Professor
Hughes did his job and did it well.