[Phys-L] The Physics of Birds Keeping Warm in Winter

I recently posted some photos on my new nature photography blog that
show birds in various stages of fluffing and tucking to keep warm.
http://www.edtechbybowman.net/nature/
I was very surprised that I had caught the birds fluffing their
feathers until I thought about the physics of fiberglass
insulation--air provides good insulation properties if it can be
trapped in small pockets. Maybe some of our non-science major students
will connect with these photos.

I am also trying to restart my ed tech blog with some articles on how
to use PowerPoint presentations more effectively, on a booklet giving
some good hints on more effective teaching in e-learning situations,
converting old MS Works files and having fun upgrading to Windows 7.
See the blog at:
http://www.edtechbybowman.net/blog/

Richard L. Bowman
Prof. of Physics-Emeritus