From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 12:06 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] two very different "gravity" concepts

On 01/02/2013 05:33 PM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
The intended implication is not that the frame is "freely falling" but
that, in the observer's frame, the observed mass m is free to "fall".

Well, even then, that doesn't answer the question that I meant to ask. IMHO
we need a word that describes g, the g that appears in the equation F = m g.
This g depends on what the *frame* is doing, not on what this-or-that mass is
doing.

To illustrate this point, consider two masses and two frames, making four
cases altogether:

falling mass, falling mass,
elevator frame lab frame
g = 0 g = 9.8 m/s/s

mass on lab shelf, mass on lab shelf,
elevator frame lab frame
g = 0 g = 9.8 m/s/s

Note that the elevator is in free fall, and that the shelf is fixed in the lab
frame.

In all cases, g depends on what the frame is doing, not on what this-or-that
mass is doing.

This is the attraction to calling g the framative acceleration of gravity,
because it is frame-relative.

The framative g is distinct from G M / r^2, which is not a frame-relative
quantity.