Re: [Phys-L] Particles, Fields or ?

There is an article in the August 2013 (I'm behind) issue of Scientific American discussing the ontology of the universe. The author, Meihard Kuhlmann, claims in the article titled "What Is Real?" that neither particles nor fields are fundamental (or even exist); rather, what is real are the properties and relationships. "What we call an electron is in fact a bundle of various properties or tropes: three fixed, essential properties (mass, charge and spin), as well as numerous changing, nonessential properties (position and velocity).... A particle is what you get when those properties bundle themselves together in a certain way."

Comments?

Larry