Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Evaluation tests

Thanks! I get what you are saying. I use MC as it's easy to grade. Takes a
long
time to grade all these tests on the first day of class. If they were to
write all
their answers out, it would take me even longer.

None of these are "trick" questions. Kids just don't take time to really
think things through. I imagine I'd get similar results/answers without the
MC answers.

My physics chapter tests have both MC and math components, so this
placement test has a similar format.

The turtle questions stumps almost everyone! These MC questions are similar
to "physics" ones as you really have to think things through to get the
right
answer. Physics is conceptually challenging/counterintuitive and unlike
any course a student will ever take.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
I think it would be interesting to give the first three questions
without the multiple choice answers. These are common 'trick'
math/reasoning problems (I remember seeing the first back in about 6th
grade). The easily available and distracting answers probably (but not
necessarily) affect the scoring.

rwt