Re: [Phys-L] feeler-dealer, third law, et cetera

I have inadvertently made this discussion more confusing
than it needed to be. This is because I violated one of my
own rules, namely: Do not call attention to misconceptions
any more than necessary.

At one point I even managed to confuse myself.

The smart thing is to focus on forces in all generality.

In contrast, it is a misconception to focus on "forces on
objects". Some forces are simple feeler-dealer forces,
whereas most forces are not. For example, they might be
formed by adding two or more feeler-dealer forces.

Force is a vector. The axioms that define what we mean by
"vector" require that the sum of two forces is itself a force.