[Phys-L] Interaction (was feeler-dealer...)

What is an interaction? When we have two charged particles, is the interaction what is going on between the two charged particles? In an exchange particle model, they are exchanging virtual photons. Is that ongoing exchange of particles the interaction? If it is not what is going on between the two charged particles, is it what is going on between a virtual photon and one of the charged particles? In a field model, is it what is going on between a field and a particle, right there at the boundary between the two of them?

Is that which keeps a neutron star from collapsing an interaction? If so, that would suggest that there doesn't have to be any kind of particle exchange going on in the case of an interaction.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Richard Tarara
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:15 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] feeler-dealer, third law, et cetera

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the electron/proton example as a violation
of the third law. Unlike situations like that presented below by Philip, even
at the intro level I would never say that electron A exerts a force on proton B.
Rather I would state that moving electron A produces a magnetic field C that
interacts with proton B producing a force on that proton. At the same time,
moving proton B produces a magnetic field D that interacts with electron A.
Even at the most elementary level, we HAVE to talk about the fields with the
moving charges, but don't need to bring in fields to a hand/ball interaction. It
is the field/charge interaction that will deflect the
particles. I'm certainly not absolutely convinced there is a third-law
violation here, but if so, I suspect it is because we have left the "Newtonian
world".

rwt