From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of jbellina
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:07 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] feeler-dealer, third law, et cetera

Seems to me there is logical error in your analysis. The claim in Newton's third is not about "net force" but about individual interactions between objects. Net force is a mathematical construct and thus does not necessarily have physical sense in the way that individual ones do. It seems to me to be a false generalization to say that because individual forces follow Newton's third, that all constructed forces must also.

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Physics
Co-Director
Northern Indiana Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Collaborative
574-276-8294
inquirybellina@comcast.net