[Phys-L] Knight vs Fiction.

While physics texts are the focus of current interest, a piece that is also charged with meaning appeared in the Chronicle of Higher Education Review recently:

http://chronicle.com/article/Theres-No-Substitute-for/143363/?key=HW91dQVsMycXNikzNGoXbW5QbSNqZUMlYydKPXMhbltcFw==

In Tiny form:
*http://tinyurl.com/kmwt346*

The article leads with this:
"Students with rich vocabularies do well in school and are better prepared for college."

I am predisposed to agree with this. Moreover, I ponder whether acquiring such a vocabulary would enhance school performance or whether the much despised general intelligence factor, often measured (in part) by grasp of extended vocabulary, largely accounts for the association.

Still, rather than a $200 copy of Knight... it is appealing to suppose that a paper back copy of Pride and Prejudice might have a similarly salutary effect!

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott