Re: [Phys-L] strange things in chem book

paraphrases. not quotes. pretty close to what and how it is stated.
I think with the theory vs law deal they were focusing on things like Boyle's Law is a calc...

In my mind, theory, law, hypothesis have so many different definitions that they aren't worth any sort of major focus.
From: Phys-l [phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] on behalf of Ludwik Kowalski [kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:01 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] strange things in chem book

Are these six sentences quotations?

Ludwik Kowalski

On Sep 13, 2012, at 10:52 PM, Paul Lulai wrote:

Hey.
I am teaching gen chem for the first time in years (high school). The book says some strange things:
a hypothesis is a prediction with an explanation.
a theory is a how we think things work.
a law is a mathematical model for prediction.
a theory can not become a law.
a data table should only include raw data. it should not include any calculation, not even subtraction of two collected values.
These statements seem to be a bit odd. Am I alone?

Have a good one.
Thanks for your input.

Paul Lulai.