[Phys-L] What Mathematicians Might Learn From Physicists: Response to Wurman #2

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent discussion-list post "What Mathematicians Might Learn From Physicists: Response to Wurman #2 [Hake (2012b)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "What Mathematicians Might Learn From Physicists: Response to Wurman" [Hake (2012a)] at <http://bit.ly/TXMvNs>, Ze'ev Wurman (2012) in a Math-Learn post <http://yhoo.it/SxJOSR> (to access this post non-subscribers will need to click on "New User" in the upper left-hand corner and fill out a form) made the following five points (paraphrased for brevity [Ze'ev, please comment if you think I've failed to convey your meaning]:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
1. My post focussed on Hake's rude attack on Hansen as "illiterate" because he used the word "disinterested" to mean "uninterested" (in *consonance* with the OED and Merriam Webster). Considering Hake's citation of Strunk & White at <http://amzn.to/OGx7jv> and Follett at <http://bit.ly/Nayixo>, who *oppose* defining "disinterested" to mean "uninterested," I'm happy that I chose OED and Merriam Webster over Strunk & White and Follett.

2. I am not surprised by Hake's crude misinterpretations of my quite precise critique of elementary-librarians vs. teachers statement.

3. Nor am I surprised by Hake's preference of *physics-for-dummies* ("Hands- and Minds-On" in his mellifluous description).

4. But I was taken aback by Hake's belief that my support of phonics-based reading instruction over Whole Language is "uninformed." After all, it is not my opinion as much as it is NICHD's <http://1.usa.gov/QegRfk>, <http://1.usa.gov/PEP9aA> and the National Reading Panel <http://bit.ly/P8AG2l>. When it suits him, Hake prefers charlatanism over empirical evidence.

5. But the real issue is what all the above has to do with the issue at hand - Hake's rude attack on Hansen as 'illiterate' because of Hansen's use of a word Hake didn't like or know.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

In this post I comment on the above five points, indicating Wurman's numerous errors, misrepresentations, and vacuities.

To access the complete 41 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/NSbCh8>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>

". . . .there are several ways to distinguish those who advocate a concept-driven reform curriculum from those who remain defenders of a skills-oriented traditional curriculum. . . . . .They represent different value systems. I believe that rational, reflective discussion and exploration of these issues can bring the two sides closer together. . . . . . . I am told that California schools educate one-seventh of the students in this country. There is too much at stake to continue the fighting,
to take a chance on sacrificing the mathematical education of our children by not reaching some agreement on what that education should be."
- Judith Sowder (1998)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 25 August 2012.]
Hake, R.R. 2012a. "What Mathematicians Might Learn From Physicists: Response to Wurman," online on the OPEN AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/TXMvNs>. Post of 23 Aug 2012 14:56:24-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/MPsKXQ> with a provision for comments.

Hake, R.R. 2012b. "What Mathematicians Might Learn From Physicists: Response to Wurman #2," online on the OPEN AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/NSbCh8>. Post of 25 Aug 2012 15:56:24-0700 to AERA-L, Math-Learn, and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/SCjR4F> with a provision for comments.

Sowder, J.T. 1998. "What are the 'Math Wars' in California All About? Reasons and Perspectives," Phi Beta Kappa Invited Lecture; online as a 98 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/O6R9If>, thanks to Professor Bowen Brawner of Tarleton State University.