Re: [Phys-L] Statistics question

On 08/24/2012 03:11 PM, Paul Nord wrote:

don't we generally use the standard deviation and not the HWHM?
Standard deviation is slightly smaller.

What do you mean by "we", Kemosabe?
-- Sometimes there are excellent reasons for using the HWHM.
-- Sometimes there are excellent reasons for using the standard deviation.
-- Sometimes there are excellent reasons for using both ... or neither.

The only rule here is: Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Is the standard deviation still defined for any set of measurements
even it they are widely scattered?

Yes. There is an utterly straightforward mathematical definition
of standard deviation.

Can I call .... the standard deviation even though a normal
distribution clearly will not fit the data?

Yes. Non-normal distributions have perfectly well defined
standard deviations.

Whether the standard deviation of some wacky distribution tells
you anything /interesting/ is another question. Sometimes it
does ... sometimes it doesn't.