Re: [Phys-L] form of Newtons 2nd law

On 07/27/2012 12:40 AM, Ian Sefton wrote:
If we use the convention of what is sometimes called physical algebra
and let each symbol represent both the number and the unit (as in F
= 5 N) then F= ma works just fine in any system of units.

1) Welcome to the list.

2) I had not previously heard the term "physical algebra". That is a
useful term. For one thing, googling it turns up some interesting
stuff:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22physical+algebra%22+units

3) I would argue that teaching "physical algebra" is not a big deal
because it is not different from any other kind of algebra. That is
to say, the methods that allow you to multiply 3xz by 4y to obtain
12xyz work the same, no matter whether x, y, and z are "variables"
or units.

Essentially, "physical algebra" is just algebra.

4) Perhaps more importantly, I learned something from the first word
quoted above, namely "If". That word introduces a hypothesis ... and
one of the rules of science is to consider all the plausible hypotheses,
so the question arises, what if we do *not* use physical algebra? What
is the alternative?

I'm so addicted to units that it took me a moment to realize that yes,
there is an alternative. The alternative to algebra is grade-school
arithmetic. Suppose you are in 4th grade. You know basic arithmetic,
but not algebra. You could represent force, mass, and acceleration by
/pure numbers/ devoid of units. In this scenario, to calculate the
force you might well need a fudge factor to make the answer come out
right, so it makes a certain amount of sense to write F = k m a, where
k depends on the choice of units.