Re: [Phys-L] thermodynamics of open systems

Some of the pedantry associated with Q and dQ is becoming increasingly tiresome. The historic association of dQ is "an infinitely small amount of Q", There is a well-established notion of "infinitesimal" associated with the name of Robinson. If one can relate measurements related to temperature to notions of transfer of something called "Q" that is involved in a difusive process, then Q can be given an operational meaning, on an appropriate time scale. Since most infants learn the meanings of "hot" and "cold", expeerientially, at an early age, it is good pedagogy to use these terms.
In physics, the equations are used to make unambiguous predictions. Words associated with the equations are appropriate when they guide the user to making correct predictions.
Regards,
Jack