Re: [Phys-L] US schools

On 7/16/2012 10:00 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

For example: Suppose you are under contract to deliver widgets
to General Motors, or to deliver soft-drink syrup to McDonald's.
The buyer wants the stuff fully up to specifications, and exactly
on time. Now suppose that due to a flood or whatever, you are
unable to obtain the components and ingredients you need. If
you fail to make the delivery, there will be severe sanctions.
You could easily go bankrupt. Real-world businesses worry about
this all the time. The contract forces you to worry about it,
because as bad as your losses might be, the buyer's losses are
even greater, if you fail to make the delivery.

Incompetent attorneys here -- I though contracts include outs due to "acts of 'god'".

Acts of God are just a fraction of what can go wrong for a manufacturer/supplier. Organizational and individual incompetence and/or mismanagement are much more frequent contributors to breaching contracts. Ask Boeing and its Dreamliner planners.