Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: US schools

Size is certainly a factor, but in response to John Clement below, I always
wondered whether the "large schools are bad" correlation, so often quoted,
might not be hiding some other truism. How well did the original study
account for population demographics between schools? Would not a 'large
school' tend to correlate with cities and smaller tend to correlate with
towns, for example? If so, are we getting a demographics effect rather
than a size effect?

Again, citing the anecdotal case of my own mixed urban/suburban district,
cohort class size in the district has been about 1000 students for as long
as I can remember. Indeed, in 1965, the year I graduated, there were
something like 745 graduates - and LOTS of dropouts. And again, one could
easily find numbers to suggest our schools were 'poor', but the reality was
that the programs were, in fact, excellent. We simply couldn't overcome
the the handicaps all of the district's children.

One advantage that a large school has is the ability to offer advanced
classes. There are always enough children to justify the classes.
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Anthony Lapinski <Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org