Re: [Phys-L] real-world physics

But he lands flat, so the air resistance may have lowered the velocity
considerably. As I pointed out terminal velocity spread eagled is about
60mph. So the 40g is an extreme estimate for when you come down oriented
vertically.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Here's a guy dropping 150 feet onto what looks like about 15
ft of cardboard boxes. I'm estimating an impact speed of
something like 60 mph and an average acceleration of about 8
or 9 g as opposed to the ~110 mph and ~40 g to be expected
for someone falling from 1500 feet onto 10 feet of cushion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woH7C3cY_Es