From: David Caine <dcaine55@HOTMAIL.COM>
Date: 2012, May 24, 11:29:43 PDT
To: PHYSHARE@LISTS.PSU.EDU
Subject: [PHYSHARE] Next Generation Science Standards - Energy Question

We have been studying the draft of the Next Generation Science Standards
that were recently released for comment. As I was reading through the 9-12
Physical Science Energy standard, I came to an expectation that confused me,
so I thought I would come here for some help. The standard in question is:

Analyze data to support claims that closed systems move toward more uniform
energy distribution. (With a clarifying statement that water flows downhill
and objects hotter than their environment cool down.)

The heat transfer example seems like a fitting example to me. I don't see
why water flowing downhill is an example of moving toward a more uniform
energy distribution. I think of that as the objects are pushed/pulled
toward the lowest local potential energy, not the most uniform distribution.
Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
David Caine
Ann Arbor Huron High