Re: [Phys-L] Metacognition

This is what peer instruction does and it has revolutionized how I teach
and how my students learn.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Unfortunately lectures do not do a good job of promoting metacognition.
That is why PER has reduced lectures. In a lecture you learn about
thinking, but to learn to do metacognition you have to experience it.
Remember that Feynman knew that his lectures were failures.

To promote metacognition in students you have to question them. They have
to answer questions rather than you answering questions. They have to be
pushed to think rather than you doing the thinking for them. I have shown
gain on the Lawson test and also seen transfer, which I would interpret as
increased metacognition.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

As for me, I completely agree that metacognition means
"thinking about
thinking". See also
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thinking.htm

Also, if you can, please provide more explanation of
metacognition as well as some examples.

1) One of the reasons the Feynman lectures are so highly regarded
is that many metacognition lessons are sprinkled throughout. For
example, in Volume I Chapter 22, he doesn't just assert that sine
and cosine exist; he shows how you could have figured out for
yourself, on a desert island, the salient properties of sine and
cosine and various other things. The chapter closes with the words: