Re: [Phys-L] proportional reasoning, scaling laws, et cetera

On 05/16/2012 01:17 PM, Robert Cohen wrote:
In fact, one analogy I use is one of trying to find your way to a
particular destination. You are faced with two choices: memorize
each individual route or learn how to read a map. I then make the
analogy that in physics we are learning to use the same map over and
over again to reach lots of different destinations.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure it is making the point as well as I
had hoped.

We agree that this "marketing" issue is important. I don't
know any perfect solutions.

We agree that the "map" example is the right general idea
but has some imperfections. The obvious weakness is that the
penalty for driving a sub-optimal route is usually rather small.

Here are a couple other imperfect possibilities to consider:

a) The game of "Clue". Maybe the butler did it in the library
with the candlestick ,,, or may another of the 342 possibilities.
If you try to eliminate the possibilities one by one, you will
lose the game for sure ... so a deductive approach is mandatory.
There are combinatorially many possibilities.

One disadvantage is that it's only a game, not a life-critical
real-world situation. Also, 342 is not an overwhelmingly large
number. OTOH students should be able to take a leap and /imagine/
similar real-world situations with even more factors (and vastly
more possibilities).

Note that supposedly-scientific "crime scene investigation" is
part of popular culture nowadays.

Chess, checkers, go, and many other board games offer examples
of rather few principles leading to combinatorially many cases.

b) As a flight instructor, I have it easy. Imagine trying to
land an airplane. Factors include:
-- X position
-- Y position
-- Z position
-- X momentum
-- Y momentum
-- Z momentum
-- yaw orientation
-- pitch orientation
-- roll orientation
-- yaw-wise momentum
-- pitch-wise momentum
-- roll-wise momentum
-- headwind
-- crosswind
-- gusty wind
-- updrafts and downdrafts
-- flaps configuration
-- landing gear configuration
-- other configuration variables
-- throttle setting
-- density altitude
-- runway width
-- runway length
-- runway markings or lack thereof
-- day or night
-- conflicting traffic
-- air traffic control instructions
++ et cetera

Multiplying all those together gives us millions upon millions of
possibilities. Do you really think you are going to see the same
situation twice? Do you really think you are going see all the
relevant situations during training so you can learn them by rote,
one by one? I don't think so.

Taking care of 30 different things is hard enough ... but if you
factor things properly and take a principled approach, it's only
30 principles, not 2^30 separate cases.

The obvious limitation of this "marketing scheme" is that it does
not work nearly so well in the physics classroom. Some students
will just decide that they are never going to be called upon to
land an airplane, and tune out at that point.

There have *got* to be better examples. Suggestions, anyone?