Re: [Phys-L] Conceptual Physics Course

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 6:55 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Conceptual Physics Course

"For the fine-arts majors, there is a lot you can do with the physics of color. Filters. Pigments. Colored lights. Human color vision. I don't have any good references on the topic of artists' paints and pigments. I know there is a lot of confusion and nonsense out there. If anybody has any good suggestions, please speak up!"

I've done a fair amount of work in this area:

It's a Colorful Life educational module and associated references
<http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/modules/materialscience/color/index.html>

Many "It's a Colorful Life" Presentations, all of which are somewhat different.
<http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/GASEFPresentations.html>

Color wheel poster
<http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/modules/materialscience/color/images/colorwheel-poster-004.jpg>
(click on it to see it in higher resolution)

Papers:
"Confusing Color Concepts Clarified," L. D. Woolf, The Physics Teacher 37, 204 (1999). Color wheels appear on the cover of the magazine.

"It's Time to Teach the Correct Primary Colors," Larry and Wendy Woolf, The Painted Monkey: The Newsletter of the California Art Education Association, Volume 28, No. 1, January 2002, p. 20.
<http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/pdfs/Final%20Monkey%20article.pdf>

Books:
Vision and Art: the Biology of Seeing by Margaret Livingstone, Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, 2002. (A wonderful, colorful, understandable book about the human visual system and its relationship to art with many excellent illustrative diagrams, photographs, and paintings.)
I did notice one error in this book regarding color theory.

Re: "I know there is a lot of confusion and nonsense out there."

Agreed. See:

<http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/pdfs/primary_clrs.pdf>

First 10 slides of:
<http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/pdfs/1-17-08%20TeacherTECH%20program.ppt>