Re: [Phys-L] Atmospheric Energy

The atmosphere has a normal potential gradient of about 100V/m. This can be measured by finding the voltage difference between two metal plates separated by a few decimeters. The problem is in trying to draw current from the arrangement with destroying the field. Very sensitive electrostatic apparatus must be used to measure the voltage. It is so difficult to measure that I can't imagine getting useful power from such a device.

Sounds suspicious. There are lots of ways to get "free" energy - like solar and hydro - but I don't think this is one of them.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] on behalf of Donald Polvani [dgpolvani@verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:43 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: [Phys-L] Atmospheric Energy

I recently received an advertisement regarding "atmospheric energy". This
referred to retrieving atmospheric static electricity and using it for
ground-based commercial use. The ad said the approach had been successfully
tested and prototype units were available which involve a collecting balloon
at cloud levels connected by a conducting cable to a "power converter" (also
up in the atmosphere), then by conducting cable to a ground "isolation
platform" and then connected to a power generator. No numerical performance
details were given. Is anyone familiar with the performance of such an
approach? Can useful electrical power be obtained under normal
(non-thunderstorm) conditions?

Don

Dr. Donald Polvani
Adjunct Faculty, Physics