Re: [Phys-l] presentation graphics (was whiteboarding ...)

For better or worse, overhead projectors are going the way of slide projectors and 'real' blackboards. Almost none of my students had ever had to load a slide projector, therefore the experience of 'upside-down and backwards' is completely lacking and is no longer of use in teaching image formation. The document camera may well be the way to go--this is about to happen in our largest classroom. One supposedly can do just about the same things one does with overhead transparencies under the document camera including having prepapared sheets and sheets to write one. One advantage is that one can show pages from books and magazines without having to scan them and print them onto the transparencies. I suspect in another 5 years, even professional meetings will have few if any overheads available. ;-)

Rick -- who does use PowerPoint a lot (easy to save and retrieve) but using black text on plain white backgrounds. Many books now provide instructors with most of the figures from the book in PP format (and yes some still provide overheads--but for how much longer?)

R.W.Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College

free instructional physics software

----- Derek Chirnside <derek.chirnside@gmail.com> wrote:
My favourite teaching technology (after the photocopier) has become
"obselete"
Replaced by datashow + lousy PowerPoint.
Hence my hare-brained thought of document camera.

-Derek

<snip>