From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of John Denker [jsd@av8n.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:28 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Significant figures -- again

On 03/29/2012 04:29 PM, Quist, Oren wrote:
One of my favorite problems, before I retired, was the "drop a stone
down a well and listen for the splash." Calculate the well depth
from the time delay. Following the normal sig figs rule eliminates
the answer. Students did not know what to do next!

"Expand" the square root (from the quadratic formula). This shows
precisely what is happening. The "big" terms cancel out - exactly -
leaving the answer in the (quickly converging) series. Sig figs
takes on a whole new meaning in this problem after the expanding
algebra is complete.

I'm collecting examples in that category. Examples include
*) The aforementioned stone-in-well.
*) Relativistic KE, when the velocity is smallish.
*) The pH of a dilute solution of strong acid, as discussed
below.

If anybody has any other favorite examples, please let me know.

Here's the nicest example I can think of, namely finding the pH
of a moderately dilute solution of a strong acid. The details
can be found at:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/uncertainty.htm#sec-ph-quadratic

I like this example because:
-- It is obviously a real-world situation. There is nothing
contrived about it. Anybody who has taken high-school chemistry
knows what pH is.
-- The "pH versus concentration" curves are interesting, with
some non-obvious but understandable behavior, as discussed at:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/uncertainty.htm#fig-ph-scan
-- The term that is in danger of being wiped out by roundoff
is not some minor correction term; it is the entire answer.
-- The algebra to derive the key equation is reasonably simple.
-- et cetera.

In contrast, I'm somewhat less happy with the stone-in-well example,
because it's not so clearly a practical real-world problem. Specifically:
-- The term that is in danger of getting wiped out due to roundoff
is a small correction term, and
-- It is hard to come up with a realistic reason to include the
speed-of-sound correction but not the air-drag correction.

In the /simplified/ numerical pH calculation, sig-figs doctrine would
require rounding off to a single digit.
*) One digit is not enough.
*) Carrying three "extra" digits is not enough.
*) Carrying ten "extra" digits is not enough.
*) You need at least 12 digits to get the right answer with
acceptable accuracy.

In the non-simplified (cubic) calculation, even IEEE floating point
(roughly 16 decimal digits) is not enough.

Situations like this come up all the time, in many different situations,
ranging from astronomy to zoology.

To put it bluntly, if you see a number such as

⎛ 1.497925297894696 ... ⎞
X = ⎜ ± 0.01 ⎟
⎝ ⎠

you should not assume it is safe to round off. It may be that the
number already has too /few/ digits.