From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of Bob Sciamanda [treborsci@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:50 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Force and potential

Interpreting this dU/dx as a force in the x direction makes no sense. mgy
is the potential energy associated with the VERTICAL gravitational force mg.

What you did would be like considering a mass in free fall, and treating the
parameter t in the same way as you are here treating the parameter x ==>

U = mgy = mg(.5gt^2)
F_t =dU/dt = mg^2t is nonsense! (Not even the dimension of force.)