Re: [Phys-l] Force and potential

To be fair, motion along a _constrained_ surface often shows such "problems" (one is NOT allowed to "penetrate" the bowl's surface at all, and raising off of it infinitesimally means no force whatsoever).

________________________________
From: "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:11 PM
Subject: [Phys-l] Force and potential

Deep in the sugar shock of eating too many Easter "Peeps", I came up with the following:

Consider a bowl formed from the lower half of a sphere. In 2D I can write the equation for the bowl as x^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1.

This gives y = 1 - sqrt(1-x^2)

If I place a marble at the inside rim (x=1, y=1) of the bowl and release it, the marble will oscillate back and forth, repeatedly coming back to the release point.

The potential energy is given by U=mgh=mgy = mg[1 - sqrt(1-x^2)]

Using F_x = - dU/dx , then we have F_x = -x/sqrt(1-x^2) which implies that F_x is infinitely strong when x = 1 (the release point).

:-(

Bob at PC