Re: [Phys-l] Hewitt's three answers - Flicker Afterthoughts.

Thoughts on perceived flicker from incandescents, fluorescents etc.

Flicker is a phenomenon of perceived brightness variation.
It means that methods used to quantify flicker should attempt to
replicate the physiological substrate.
One measure is to fit a human photopic response filter to the photo
sensors used to identify the
relevant variation. Contributors mentioned a high speed video camera
(near IR sensitive), a photo tube
(Hamamatsu data show response curves from 150 nm to 1000 nm) and a
solar cell
(These too can respond well into the infra-red) see
http://jp.sanyo.com/solar/amorton/en/feature/index.html

Luminous efficiency was also associated with filament mass and gas-fill.
As well to mention the the advent of coiled-coil filaments signaled an
improvement
in that area

Sincerely

Brian W