[Phys-l] Degree in Photonics?

Hello,

We have (yet another) new President at Sussex CCC. He's got it in his head that:

1. degrees are superfluous

2. certificate programs and AAS degrees are the thing that must be emphasized

3. transfer programs should be minimized

Now, for those of us who've been around for awhile (in my case 20 years of this), I feel like I'm back in 1990. I think he's seriously got it wrong, but…

As part of his "redefining the college's mission" he's grasping at any "bright and shiny" program out there. That means that he's now locked onto us doing a photonics degree from these people:
http://www.op-tec.org/

The level of "training/education" seems to be VERY LOW. However, I may not be approaching it with an unbiased mind. Have any of you seen or implemented this program? I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Peter