Re: [Phys-l] FCI report

Contact Jerry Epstein. Jerry Epstein jerepst@ATT.NET
But I always suggest the Lawson test from his book "Science Teaching and the
Development of Thinking"
There is data on the correlation between the FCI gain and his multiple
choice version by Colleta an Phillips.

I have never seen 100% on the FMCE, but I did once have a class with a few
high scorers. Usually I never see the pretest over 50%. The FMCE and FCI
track perfectly. I have plotted them agains each other and they are very
close.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Gave the FCI as a "pre-test" to a 1st semester University
Physics (introductory) class today. Had a freshman physics
major get 100% of 30.
Thank you to some HS physics teacher out there. This is the
first that I've seen (I'm in TN).

The rest of the class didn't do so well. Including this score
(30), the mean for 18 students was 13.5 with s=7; without,
xbar=12.5, s=6. Only 4 scored above 20. Eight scored 10 or
lower. I hope this indicates ignorance rather than low ability.

Has anyone developed and researched an introductory physics
math inventory?