Re: [Phys-l] Amplitude in E&M

On 9/19/2011 3:11 PM, Zeke Kossover wrote:
Two questions

1. Would it be reasonable to say (that is, pedagogically a good idea) that an electromagnetic wave has an amplitude?
2. Why are microwaves reflected by a piece of metal and not gamma rays? Don't both have a skin effect?

Thank you.
As an effort to stir the pot, I offer this.

Anything that oscillates cycles energy between different forms. We take the amplitude to represent the difference between the greatest positive and negative displacements, at least for mechanical oscillators.
It seems that in the case of the pendulum, the other energy form is kinetic, has a greatest value at the midpoint, and the v squared form makes it necessary to represent that energy amplitude as twice the kinetic energy found for one sweep (??)

We suppose that an electromagnetic wave cycles magnetic and electric components (though I hear it is considered improper to represent this wave as cycling between modes, for some reason that escapes me) Here, we could provide an amplitude for the electric component, or for the magnetic component, it seems.

Light is reflected at a mirror surface, but largely traverses a clear glass. I can suppose that microwaves find considerably rougher metallic surfaces sufficiently reflective, but gamma waves can find smooth metallic surfaces sufficiently transmissive, except at shallow glancing angles, where the relevant interactions have enough proximity to provide some reflection.

Brian W