Re: [Phys-l] Why soldiers break step on small bridges, and not so small.

As an aside... There was serious problems with the Millenium Bridge when first built.  When the number of people on it reached a critical number the bridge oscillated quite alarmingly... Details found here

http://www.arup.com/millenniumbridge/

--- On Fri, 29/7/11, Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@redshift.com> wrote:

From: Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@redshift.com>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Why soldiers break step on small bridges, and not so small.
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Date: Friday, 29 July, 2011, 6:21

while searching I found this Ceylon:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=100679

If the above doesn't work for "you", I'll copy and send.

bc

On 2011, Jul 26, , at 20:53, William Robertson wrote:

Just providing info. I wasn't trying to say that the Mythbusters did
anything conclusive. They used reasonably solid bridges and small
robot "soldiers" for their test. I would say, though, that they made a
good case that any average bridge in place at that time (not a
swinging foot bridge) would be hard pressed to go into normal mode
vibration as a result of marching soldiers.

Bill