Re: [Phys-l] facts about temperature records in July 2011

My comment was based on a page on the Weather Channel website, which, in turn, based their
information on the National Weather Service data. The page was updated today. Here is what they
have to say...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/2011-heat-superlatives_2011-07-15

Really, I have little confidence in NOAA's or the NWS surface temperature measurements with regard
to historical temperatures. This is based on the switch to electronic temperature monitoring in the
early 1980s, which caused heat island effects to even the stations considered rural. The majority of
stations in the USHCN network are reading higher than actual air temperatures by as much as 4 to 5
F, which in turn can cause those heat index values to be more than 10 degrees higher than if the
correct air temperature was used. The error in the stations has been acknowledged by the NWS.