Re: [Phys-l] Ashamed it is physicists and not learning scientists!

If you reply to this long (9 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

Joe Redish (2011), in his PhysLrnR post "Re: Ashamed it is physicists and not learning scientists!" wrote: "You might also take a look at my papers on using cognitive science in PER, and then gave three references that failed to:

(a) specify DEFINITIVE ACADEMIC REFERENCES :-(, and

(b) recognize the invention of the internet :-(.

I suspect that Joe attempted to *subliminally* link the titles of the references to URL's (rather than overtly showing the URL) but such subliminal linking (SL) often fails to translate onto mail servers and discussion-list archives.

But even if the SL's had survived the mail servers, SL-lovers such as Redish evidently fail to appreciate that SL's SUPPRESS DEFINITIVE ACADEMIC REFERENCES (DAR's) to the detriment of COMMUNITY MAP building, which Redish himself has extolled - see the first signature quote.

As President of "PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)," I'm continually depressed by the reticence of editors, authors, and discussion-list posters to:

A. utilize DAR's, the guideposts of the COMMUNITY MAP, and

B. accept the precious gift of physicist-turned-computer-scientist Tim Berners-Lee <http://bit.ly/dPFtPa> that allows articles and reports to be brought to a reader's screen with the click of a mouse on a *hot-linked* URL.

For PEDARRI-approved versions of Joe's references see the double asterisked ** references in the REFERENCE list below.

For yet more of Joe's excellent articles go to <http://umdperg.pbworks.com/Joe+Redish> =
<http://bit.ly/nmdigS>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"The culture of science includes the continual interaction, exchange, evaluation, and criticism we make of each other's views. This produces a kind of emergent phenomenon I refer to as a *community consensus knowledge base* or more briefly, a COMMUNITY MAP."
Joe Redish (1999)

"Those of us in physics know well that advancement in science is a continual dance between the partners of theory and experiment, first one leading, then the other. It is not sufficient to collect data into a 'wizard's book' of everything that happens. That's not science. Neither is it science to spout high-blown theories untainted by 'reality checks'. Science must build a coherent and clear picture of what is happening at the same time as it continually confirms and calibrates that picture against the real world."
Joe Redish (1994)

"It is not enough to observe, experiment, theorize, calculate and communicate; we must also argue, criticize, debate, expound, summarize, and otherwise transform the information that we have obtained individually into reliable, well established, public knowledge."
John Ziman. 1969. "Information, Communication, Knowledge," Nature 224: 318-324;
abstract online at <http://bit.ly/cNPB1d>.

"A paper that does not have references is like a child without an escort walking at night in a big city it does not know: isolated, lost, anything may happen to it."
Bruno Latour (1987)

"Usually I find the inclusion of references busywork and ignore it. . . . ."
Ed Eckel (2003) [an all too typical PhysLrnR subscriber]

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 26 July 2011.]
Eckel, E. 2003. "Re: The bad effects of physics first." PhysLrnR post of 23 Nov 2003 08:06:45-0500; online at <http://bit.ly/qzCYgB>. To access the archives of PhysLnR one needs to subscribe :-(, but that takes only a few minutes by clicking on <http://bit.ly/nG318r> and then clicking on "Join or Leave PHYSLRNR-LIST." If you're busy, then subscribe using the "NOMAIL" option under "Miscellaneous." Then, as a subscriber, you may access the archives and/or post messages at any time, while receiving NO MAIL from the list!

Latour. B. 1987. "Science in Action - How to Follow Scientists and Engineers Through Society," Harvard University Press, p. 33. Publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/hOCc2q >.

**Redish, E.F. 1994. "Implications of Cognitive Studies for Teaching Physics," Am. J. Phys. 62L 796-803; online at <http://bit.ly/pNabSR>.

Redish, E.F. 1999. "Millikan lecture 1998: Building a science of teaching physics," Am. J. Phys. 67(7): 562-573; online at <http://bit.ly/pePmuK>.

**Redish, E.F. 2004. "A Theoretical Framework for Physics Education Research: Modeling student thinking," in Redish & Vicentini (2004); online as a 741 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/mPNeGE>

**Redish, E.F. & M. Vicentini, eds. 2004. "Proceedings of the International School of Physics, 'Enrico Fermi' Course CLVI," IOS Press Amsterdam; Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/p4MJg7>.

**Redish, E.F. & K.A. Smith. 2008. "Looking Beyond Content: Skill development for engineers," Journal of Engineering Education 97: 295-307; a pre-publication version is online as a 283 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/pV7ZwG>.

Redish, E.F. 2011. "Re: Ashamed it is physicists and not learning scientists!" PhysLrnR post of 26 Jul 2011 09:34:35-0400; online at <http://bit.ly/pg6Enu>. To access the archives of PhysLnR one needs to subscribe :-(, but that takes only a few minutes by clicking on <http://bit.ly/nG318r> and then clicking on "Join or Leave PHYSLRNR-LIST." If you're busy, then subscribe using the "NOMAIL" option under "Miscellaneous." Then, as a subscriber, you may access the archives and/or post messages at any time, while receiving NO MAIL from the list!