Re: [Phys-l] Wiki. is wrong

True only if volts & amps were calculated as complex values??
Phasors?

(Oh, AND of course IFF that "-" between "Volt" and "amperes" indicates MULTIPLICATION rather than subtraction ;-) )

wiki is there to be IMPROVED upon by those who know!!

My understanding is that most residential meters DO just multiply rms volts & amps - taking no account of the reactive, phase difference.

Distribution systems DO need to be designed and built in terms of Vmax and Imax.
Phase differences make for inefficient.
SOMEbody has to pay for the 'excess' V & I that gets designed into the dist. system.
Commercial users are not a gullible as res. users so THEY insist on (and GET) True Power meters.)

(I've heard rumors that a commercial user can get a break on their rates if they have a capacitive rather than inductive reactive load. It helps balance all those motors that MOST industrial users have.)
.